This year’s World Cancer Day campaign is all about working together to reimagine a world where millions of preventable cancer deaths are saved and access to life-saving cancer treatment and care is equitable for all.
- Despite being the third most diagnosed cancer, bowel cancer patients don’t receive the same level of support as other common cancers. We must increase the number of specialised support nurses and access to these services. Download our ‘World Cancer Day: inequities in cancer support' social media images.
- 1 in 9 new bowel cancer cases now occur in Australians under age 50, and it is the deadliest cancer for Australians aged 25-44. But there’s still a long way to go to improve care experiences and health outcomes for younger people. Download our ‘World Cancer Day: #Never2Young’ social media image.
- Bowel cancer patients have experienced some of the longest waits for access to new treatments, with one life-extending medication taking more than six years and a record eight submissions before being listed on the PBS as a subsidised treatment. Download our ‘World Cancer Day: access to treatments’ social media image.
- Your health matters, no matter your age. Almost 99% of bowel cancer cases can be successfully treated when detected at the earliest stage, yet the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program (NBCSP) only offers screening to people aged 50-74. Join us in championing for expanding eligible NBCSP screening ages as well as greater access to timely, affordable colonoscopy. Download our ‘World Cancer Day: access to screening' social media image.
Join the World Cancer Day 5K Challenge
Close a loop of 5 kilometres by running, cycling, swimming, walking, skateboarding, hiking, roller-skating . . . you get the idea!
Once you’ve completed the challenge, post your accomplishment on Facebook, X, Instagram, TikTok, or the channel of your choice and nominate 5 of your friends to do the same and help spread the word.
Take a buddy with you or bring your pet along, and symbolically close the gap together. The more the merrier.
What’s behind this initiative?
The World Cancer Day campaign is calling on everyone to make some noise and draw attention to the fact that cancer care inequities exist worldwide, and for people everywhere to get active and mimic the closing of the gap with the World Cancer Day 5K Challenge.
Are you ready?
It’s easy to take part and help close the loop, simply:
- Get moving, put on your workout clothes and grab your gear. Come on, you can do it!
- Record your activity on your favourite fitness tracker (Strava, Runtastic, and MapMyRide all offer free versions) and . . . action!
- Post your achievement in the form of a video or a simple picture on social media.
- Tag 5 friends.
- Use #WorldCancerDay and #BowelCancerAustralia.
- Be part of the official campaign by using one of the World Cancer Day 5k Challenge stickers (available through Instagram and TikTok).
- Donate $5 or more, or create an online fundraising page to help beat bowel cancer!