BowelScreen Australia was launched nationally in 2010 as a collaboration between Bowel Cancer Australia and The Pharmacy Guild of Australia to provide greater access to bowel cancer screening through community pharmacies.
BowelScreen Australia uses a clinically proven, sensitive and reliable faecal immunochemical test (FIT).
The Australian designed and manufactured test and accredited pathology services are provided by Clinical Genomics.
The test comes complete with full instructions, a dedicated customer helpline, as well as a reminder service.
No faecal handling, diet or medication changes are required to perform the test, which can be completed in the privacy of your own home.
The recommended retail price of the BowelScreen Australia ColoVantage test is $45 (inc. GST), which includes the test kit, pathology analysis, result reporting to the participant and their nominated GP as well as return postage.
Talk to your GP or pharmacist today about BowelScreen Australia.
Order a screening test online or by calling 1800 555 494.
| How to screen
Brush the surface of your poo for about five seconds on two separate occasions
SAMPLE 1 - Your first poo
- Take the instructions, your information sheet, with the barcode labels, brush kit and test card into the bathroom.
- Flush toilet BEFORE your bowel movement.
- After your bowel movement, DO NOT PLACE USED TOILET PAPER IN THE TOILET BOWL. Instead, put the used toilet paper in one of the blue waste bags from the brush kit envelope.
- DO NOT FLUSH the toilet.
- Lift the flap marked 'LIFT HERE FOR SAMPLE 1' on the test card to uncover the small white square marked 'SAMPLE 1'.
- Using one of the blue brushes, gently brush the surface of the poo for about five seconds.
- If the poo is loose, simply stir the water around the poo.
- Remove the brush from the water and gently shake it once to remove excess water and any clumps of poo.
- Transfer the water sample by gently dabbing the bristles of the brush onto the small white square on the test card for about five seconds (some staining of the square may occur).
- Put the used brush in the blue waste bag and put the bag in your rubbish bin.
- Close the flap back over 'SAMPLE 1' and stick the flap down using one of the barcode labels located on the information sheet.
- See diagrams above for the correct way to position the label.
SAMPLE 2 - Your second poo
This sampe must be from a different poo to increase the chance of detecting non-visible blood.
- Use the second blue brush, blue waste bag and the test card flap marked 'SAMPLE 2', and repeat steps 1 to 5 above.
- Use the second barcode label to reseal flap marked 'SAMPLE 2'.
- Complete the information sheet.
- You must complete your GP's details or the test cannot be processed.
- Place the test card and information sheet in the reply paid envelope.
- Mail the envelope so it is received by the laboratory for analysis within 14 days of the date you collected SAMPLE 1.
- Your results will be mailed to you and your nominated GP.
| Become a stockist
Community pharmacies or General Practices interested in stocking
BowelScreen Australia ColoVantage test kits, please call Clinical Genomics on 1800 55 65 75
during business hours and select Option 3 when prompted.