Sign up or donate at Decembeard Australia
A number of men living with or beyond bowel cancer and their loved ones have shared their empowering stories, you can read their Me, My Decembeard and Why stories on our bowel cancer stories webpage.
This December grow a beard, raise funds and help beat bowel cancer.
Choose from one of the beardy options below and register now to start making a difference!
- Grow a beard - No beard and ready to grow?
- Challenge your beard - Already a face fur connoisseur?
- Raise awareness of bowel cancer - Natural facial fuzz beyond you?
Decembeard: Sign up to grow a beard
Decembeard challenges: for the 'already bearded'
- Inspire your friends: Are your mates always tugging at your beard? Get them involved by creating a Decembeard® team and make yourself the captain! Share your beard experience and fundraise together;
- Get decorative: Dye, decorate or shave your precious face fur and create something amazing! Invite your family and friends to help and donate to the cause;
- Beard of your choice: Hold a fundraising event such as beard match, gig or fancy dress. Ask people to donate to get involved in the activities.
- Grow beards: Create a Decembeard online fundraising team.
- Bake beards: Hold a beard themed morning tea, afternoon tea, lunch or bake-off.
- Challenge your beards: Host a ‘best beard’ competition or festive themed quiz event.
- Beard the boss: Challenge your boss to dress with a beard for a day.
- Dress with beards: Organise a festive casual clothes day or dress-up day.
- Fake beards: Download our beard templates and encourage entries for the ‘most creative selfie photo’.
- Gift of beards: Give the standard Kris Kringle a miss this year and encourage charitable donations instead.
- Match my beard: Speak to your employer about matching your Decembeard donations, many organisations do.
Even with a simple gold coin donation from each of your colleagues or team-mates, you’ll be surprised at how the funds add up!
Download our Beardtastic Christmas Party Poster now from the Decembeard resources webpage to get started.
- SHARE YOUR ME, MY BEARD AND WHY STORY: personal stories are the most powerful of all, so be sure to send us your bowel cancer story to help raise awareness. Whether you are living with bowel cancer, beyond bowel cancer or are supporting someone who is, we want to hear from you! Can't grow a beard?! You can still share your Me, Decembeard and Why story. Click here to share your story.
- LET EVERYONE KNOW: spread your beardy message with family and friends whether that be face-to-face, via email, online or over the phone, chat to your work colleagues, get something included in your club/group newsletter, encourage as many people as possible to join the beardwagon!
- ADD INFO: Did you know fundraisers that customise their fundraising page by adding a photo/video or updating their blog raise more funds. So what are you waiting for? Update your fundraising page by clicking here.
- BE SOCIAL: post your fundraiser details on your social media pages. Remember to include the campaign hash tags #DecembeardAU to tag @DecembeardAU on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram into all your posts so that we can share/re-tweet.
- CREATE: make a poster or flyer about your fundraising and distribute them around your workplace or local community (be sure to receive the appropriate charity/company/council approvals first). Poster templates are available for download from Bowel Cancer Australia's online shop.
- WORK IT: ask your HR department if they can put a posting about your fundraising on the company intranet or in the company newsletter. Investigate if your employer matches charity donations (many large and/or community conscious organisations do). Hold a Decembeard themed End-of-Year Function or Christmas party at your workplace – to help we’ve created a Christmas Party Poster that you can download from the Decembeard Australia Resources webpage.
- PROMOTE: contact your local newspaper to see if they will feature your story and fundraising efforts in the next edition.
- KNOW THE FACTS: brush up on the key bowel cancer facts to share, as well as the symptoms to look out for.
- SHOW PROGRESS: Share your progress photos on your fundraising page to let everyone know how your face fur is growing. Giving updates on your fundraising page will allow you to keep your donors informed on how your fundraising efforts are going.
- SHAVE THE DATE: Hold a ‘Shave the date’ event at the end of December / beginning of January to celebrate your fundraising effort throughout Decembeard. It will also be an opportunity to get some last minute donations from family and friends who may not have already supported your fundraising efforts.
- BREAK IT DOWN: if you have a larger overall target - break your fundraising down into achievable bite-sized chunks (For example: sponsorship from friends and family - $450, beard themed Trivia Night with your buddies - $150, Gold coin donations at your work Christmas Party - $200, Company Match Giving - $200. $1000 reached!).
- FOLLOW UP: Keep those reminders coming, follow people up and provide regular updates on how your fundraising is going.
- GIVE THANKS: Be sure to thank all your donors and sponsors, tell them why their support is so important and how their donation will help.
- ENCOURAGE INVOLVEMENT: Encourage family and friends to get involved in Decembeard. Women and children can also raise awareness of bowel cancer this Decembeard by hosting a fundraiser or purchasing one of our Decembeard Bandannas. Inspire your family and friends to get involved and sponsor someone who is growing a beard.
Decembeard: the 'stubble' sign up