Research shows that interventions focusing on holistic wellbeing have positive short and long-term effects by reducing anxiety and depression and improving quality of life.
Bowel Cancer Australia’s Bowel Care Oncology Social Worker supports patients and their families who have been affected by bowel cancer, by providing holistic specialist psychosocial care at all stages throughout the care continuum - from diagnosis, treatment, recovery and living beyond bowel cancer, to palliative care and bereavement, depending on your circumstances.
With specialist knowledge in cancer oncology, palliative care and therapeutic counselling, our social worker, alongside your treating medical team, can offer telehealth support that addresses your psychosocial needs and those of your loved ones.
Our Bowel Care Oncology Social Worker can:
- Support you through your diagnosis, as you adjust to living with and beyond bowel cancer and how this affects your life;
- Provide therapeutic counselling to you and your loved ones around:
- grief and loss
- managing fear, anxiety and depression
- finding meaning and purpose throughout the care continuum
- navigating hopelessness
- increasing hope and empowerment
- Offer education and support in developing new strategies for coping and adjusting to a ‘new normal’;
- Provide information and advice with linking you and your loved ones to appropriate and available practical support in your community. This can help with managing the many social stressors arising from a cancer diagnosis (e.g., being unable to work, which can lead to financial stress, creating challenges in getting through treatment);
- Support the psychosocial wellbeing of loved ones who are supporting you throughout the care continuum; as well as
- Assist you and your loved ones living beyond bowel cancer or with end-of-life care.
You can email Bowel Cancer Australia's Bowel Care Oncology Social Worker any time for advice.
Please send your questions using the form below and you will receive a response within 5 working days.
Alternatively, please call Bowel Cancer Australia's Helpline on 1800 555 494.