The top ten beauty boosters:
- Brazil nuts-Vitamins A, B1, B6, B12, C, magnesium, calcium, protein, fibre, good fats, antioxidants. TIP: Brazil nut oil can be used topically as an oil as well as a quick snack, try five Brazil nuts a day
- Almond butter- Vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, good fats, antioxidants, protein and fibre. TIP: Sweet almond oil is great topical oil for dry skin, try ten almonds day for an easy portable snack
- Coconut oil – saturated fat and medium chain triglycerides, can be used for high temperature cooking.TIP: coconut oil can be used topically for its antifungal and antibacterial with beneficial anti-inflammatory effects and is a great moisturiser for skin that is exposed to constant air conditioning and as a nourishing overnight conditioner for dry and damaged hair.
- Extra virgin olive oil - rich in vitamin E, K, monounsaturated fats and antioxidant polyphenols. TIP: can increase the cancer fighting benefits of nutrients from cabbage, broccoli and Brussel sprouts and is great used raw on salad. The polyphenols from the oil can increase healthy gut bacteria which can enhance healthy skin and hair.
- Salmon or fish oil capsules – marine based fatty acids omega 3 fatty acid. TIP: may slow hair loss, improve the condition of dry itchy scalps, boosts hair elasticity and shine and helps healthy nail cuticles.
- Avocados – monounsaturated healthy fats vitamins A, D, K and E, B5. TIP: avocados may reduce skin redness and the oleic acid in avocado’s can promote collagen growth and reduce the risk of acne.
- Spinach - Vitamin A, E, C, iron, folate, chlorophyll, zinc, thiamine, calcium and iron. TIP: cleans the skin from the inside out, full of antioxidants that prevent skin aging and encourage healthy skin growth.
- Carrots- Beta carotene, biotin, B6, potassium and vitamin K. TIP: Reduces thick and dead cell build up, reduces pimples, making skin look fresh and clear. Biotin is good for healthy hair and nail growth.
- Papaya- Vitamin C, beta carotene, folate, potassium. TIP eating papaya helps your digestion and beta-carotene helps to protect your skin against sun damage.
- Celery – Vitamin A, B6, B2, B3, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium and water. TIP: Keeps skin well hydrated and plump looking, reducing flaking skin, and may help to prevent breakouts.
Quick beauty boosts: Skin Boost Juice
3 stalks of celery, ¼ cup spinach, 1 carrot, ¼ avocados, slice of papaya. Blend until complete soft for 2-3 3 minutes to allow carrot to be ground down. Add water if needed, can add some pure maple syrup if sweetness is desired
*Stoma patients will need to strain juice of all residue before drinking
Quick beauty boosts: Skin Glow Salmon
Crush or blend ¼ cup of almonds, Brazil nuts with 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon zest. Place the nut mixture on a plate. Lightly dust fresh salmon fillet with gluten free flour, roll fish in nut blend and press down. Gently place in an olive oil basted baking tray, dribble olive oil over the top and bake on 180C for 10-15 minutes until fish is cooked and nuts are golden brown
*Stoma patients may mix one teaspoon of almond butter with one teaspoon of olive oil and lemon zest rather than crushed nuts