If your doctor suspects that you may have bowel cancer, the following list of questions may assist in the discussion that takes place between you and your doctor when addressing the suspicion and subsequent course of action.
Questions to ask your doctor about suspicion of bowel cancer
- What makes you suspect that I have bowel cancer?
- What other medical conditions might be causing my symptoms?
- What are the common risk factors for bowel cancer?
- Am I at increased risk for the disease? Why or why not?
- What types of examinations and diagnostic tests are performed to diagnose bowel cancer?
- Do I have to make the appointment myself?
- What do these tests involve?
- What are the costs involved?
- How should I prepare for these bowel cancer tests? Instructions?
- Will I be able to drive myself home after my test(s) or will I require someone to drive me?
- Will I require any special assistance at home after undergoing these diagnostic procedures?
- Should I call for my test results or will someone contact me? Date to call? Number to call?